Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mini or Maxi?


I have been posting a series on Facebook, Twelve Marks How Christianity Looks.  It is based upon the book, “Common Prayer:  A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals,” by Shane Claiborne.  It was supplemented by notes taken at his presentation I heard last October. Call me an aging hippie but I am increasingly intrigued with conversations about the “emerging church.”  The best way I might describe the emerging church is that it ain’t your granny’s church.  There is nothing definitive about the emerging church other than it requires a deliberate community.

One of the Marks that I posted was about intentional formation which concluded saying there is a trend moving from the mega-church to the micro-church.  That gave me cause for cogitation.  Both terms raise red flags for me.  I am relieved to learn the trend is moving away from the mega-church.  Mega-churches have always made me uncomfortable.  It’s always a guy thing about having the biggest.  Church, that is.  As impressive as it might be to have a big choir and a big organ and a big pulpit the mega church does not provide the personal touch.  The result is just as many people go out the back door as came in the front door.  Mega-churches with lasting power have a sophisticated plan for small group ministry plugging newcomers into a small group right away so that have a sense of belonging.  However, those can become artificial and fake.  One of the questions I ask when I hear about mega-churches that worship thousands and thousands each weekend is, “what kind of funeral would I have there?”

Now, micro-churches are a little more nebulous and ill-defined.  I am curious about Claiborne’s community in Philadelphia which he classifies as new monasticism.  It is a semi-communal group gathered daily for prayer and sharing their resources with the community.  That would be one version of the micro-church.  They are now modeling their community to other urban settings. (look up:  The Simple Way)

I have also heard about home churches which raises a wary, hairy eyebrow.  I have the image of a home church being led by a disgruntled church member who has a political agenda under the guise of religion.  The theology may be sketchy.  The values may not be grace-filled. Maybe I should not be so judgmental.  After all, when our ancestors came to this country they first met for worship in their homes until a congregation was established.  I will just say I am cautious.

Meanwhile, current church administration talks about forming tribal churches within our present congregations. It recommends focusing on the generations within the congregation and develops programming for the respective generational group.  In other words, an average-sized congregation would have programming for the elders, the worker bees, and the younger’s (their terminology). I think it has possibilities and might well fit the idea of micro-church which especially appeals to the younger’s and worker bees.  It might require an air traffic controller to organize it, however.

Somehow all this discussion of mega-church and micro-church makes me think about the choices Goldilocks faced.  For the time-being, I’m partial to the things belonging to Baby Bear.  I’m going to opt for that which is comfortable because I also find them to be, “just right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment