Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Family System Theory and a TKR

Life is gradually returning to normal since my total knee replacement at the end of January. The advice from the knee replacement alumni has been to be diligent with the physical therapy and I have to agree.  The stretching hurts but according to locker room philosophy, “no pain, no gain.”  I thought I would be ready to begin my next interim by March 1, but it probably has been good that I have to wait a bit longer.  The time gives me opportunity to analyze and synthesize.

In my interim training I became acquainted with Family Systems Theory.  It is a theory developed by Dr. Murray Bowen in the 1960’s.  It has been used by many family therapists since then.  One of his students was Rabbi Edwin Friedman who was also a family therapist.  But, Friedman then adapted the theory for churches and synagogues.  Within a congregation one begins to see how one sub-system impacts all the other sub-systems.  For example, if Ladies Aid is a toxic organization, it will impact the Sunday school organization and the choir and the support staff.  I may be just a beginner in using Family Systems Theory but I keep learning.

All of a sudden as I lay in a hospital bed the theory became very real how one system impacts all the others. It’s not about one family member against another family member nor about church council vs youth ministry.  No, for me the realization came after surgery and how one body system impinges upon another.

I went to the hospital because I was going to have orthopedic surgery.  When I came out of surgery my right leg was bandaged up as I anticipated.  But, it was not isolated to orthopedics.  I also had an oxygen tube in my nose to help me breathe better.  I had a catheter so that I could. . .well, you know.  They kept asking if I had symptoms of clotting. One nurse was testing my blood sugar every hour for the first evening. A different nurse wanted to know when I passed gas (not a problem).

Presto!  A light bulb flashed on.  I am a living example of Family Systems Theory.  (I guess we all are for that fact.)  Because my skeletal system was acutely disrupted, all the other body’s systems were also affected.  Since the day of surgery I could have asked every “ologist” in the clinic some sort of question about what is going on in my system: endocrinology, hematology, psychology, gastroenterology, tinkleology, belly buttonology. We indeed are one system made up of many parts.  Didn’t Abraham Lincoln say, “When my feet hurt, I hurt all over?”

Who would have ever thought that the scar running down my right leg is my certificate of continuing education in Family Systems Theory?


Can I take my hospital bill as a tax deduction?

No comments:

Post a Comment