Monday, February 4, 2013

Be a George!


Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I remember sitting in church as a youth.  The Sunday was an occasion to have a supply preacher.  In those days I didn’t pay much attention whether the fellow was a lay preacher or if he was ordained.  Regardless, bless his heart for the ministry he did.  However, the fellow was blessed with a voice that had the nasality of a foghorn. It’s funny and maybe a bit tragic that we have those “tapes” that loop through our minds.  There are times I would like to run my head across a demagnetizer to erase some of those tapes.  Anyway, the preacher selected a passage about Christian service.  In crafting his sermon he drove home the point with the oft-repeated phrase, “let George do it.”  When he said the word “George,” ore boats on Lake Superior steered clear of rocky shoals.  Mean little kid that I was I thought it was hilarious.  Now, a hundred years later, the guy had a point.

Not just churches but every sort of organization consists of either leaders or followers.  The leaders grumble about the followers and the followers grumble about the leaders.  Leader types cannot understand why followers hold back and let reticence restrain them.  Followers are offended about those leaders who are always so “pushy” and always have to be so “showy” (their words).  But, when followers are asked to be involved or to volunteer for something simple they respond with (say it with me, now) “let George do it!”

I am sure it is a scenario from the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory of introverts (I) and extroverts (E).  It is also an example of Family Systems Theory and the conflict within systems, formal or informal. It could also be fodder for Garrison Keillor’s next installment of “News from Lake Wobegon” where Minnesotans do not take kindly to people who take the splashy initiative to get things done.  But, there is a nation-wide malaise to recite that refrain along with you, Dear Reader, “let George do it!”

I am one of those introverts (I) who has seen the light. Hallelujah! If that supply preacher would have had an altar call I would be among the first ones (actually second or third in line because I wouldn’t want to appear pushy) to say, “Let me be George.”  I’m the one who sees a herd of people pressing through one door of a double set of doors and I open the second door.  I’m the one who sees a stack of programs not being handed out at the school concert so get up and make sure people receive them.

Here’s the point:  be a George!  People who might have their hands full at the moment appreciate the George who steps up to the plate to do the task at hand.  Don’t worry that people will fall at your feet in gratitude and admiration; it’s not that big of a deal.  You won’t be asked to make an acceptance speech for a trophy; there is none.  Cowboy up, world; it ain’t going to kill you.  Instead of letting George do (I heard you say it that way), be a George!

No comments:

Post a Comment